A friend to the Permaculture Research Institute, world renowned herbalist, teacher and author Isabell Shipard has passed away on the 16th of November. Isabell Shipard’s passion is herbs, and she loved to inspire and share the joys and wonders of natural herbs.
I, along with many others, will miss her dearly. Not only was she one of the best herbalists in the world, I have such a high regard for her knowledge, that I referenced her work in each and every one of my courses.
Isabell and her husband Derrick, have lived on their picturesque farm at Nambour, Queensland, for over 30 years.
When Isabell started to publish her books, I was asked for my testimonial and I put pen to paper.
- “In all the places I have travelled and worked in the world as a Permaculture designer and teacher, I’ve never met anybody who has such a depth and diversity of knowledge of individual plants, their functions, cultural uses and the growing conditions they require as Isabell Shipard… In the quest for sustainability, we are lucky to have such information available in explicit detail.” – Geoff Lawton
- “This book is the best reference I have read for live food, through the easy, convenient production of sprouts, which are possibly the ultimate compact health food.
The information Isabell has researched is always extremely detailed and very accurate and this book is a must for anyone wanting to improve their health and vitality with live sprouts.” – Geoff Lawton.
Isabell is also admired by Bill Mollison, who gave the following testimonial’s to her published works:-
- “Australia has waited 20 years for her first home-grown herbal, but here it is at last! Isabell has always been the source of plants and advice for many of us, her admirers. We can be proud of her encyclopaedic work on plants, which includes a vast reference background, as well as practical advice…” – Bill Mollison.
- “Once again, Isabell has put together a very helpful book. A book that will help us to act together, for survival in emergencies, such as surround us today. Many of us have tried, at all levels, to alert people to the critical state of the nation , due to global warming, low levels of all fuels and drought.
To grow our own food always has taken us less time than to shop for it! People, in the end, get what they choose, and to me at least, chasing life and food seems only sensible. As usual, Isabell has put in your hands, a manual that helps that aim. She has all my support.” – Bill Mollison.
Isabell has written for the Permaculture Research Institute a number of times, below are links to her articles.
Isabells’ legacy will continue through her published works, including the following:-
- Wonderful World of Herbs! DVD
- Self Sufficiency and Survival Foods!
- Living Food at its Best! DVD
- How Can I Grow and Use Sprouts as Living Food
- How I Can Use Herbs in My Daily Life
- How Can I be Prepared With Self-Sufficiency and Survival Foods?
Isabell’s funeral was held on Friday, 21 Nov at 1.30pm at St Luke’s Lutheran Church in Nambour.