WET WINDY WEST.IRELAND.sometimes warm and mild

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by antonius, Jul 31, 2017.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Great idea ... marks out your plan and holds the mulch in place!

2. antonius

antonius Member

Climate:
    mild wet winters and summers
    Been a muddled and odd couple of past months,---was just about to start grumbling and whining about the past couple of weeks ---but i have just watched the greening of the desert youtube clips ,and just listening to how Alba kept her head up and stayed true to course , her achievement is humbling---sometimes the silly little shitty patches that we sometimes go through ---in my cozy western european life just pale away---and can hardly be compared---gave me so much to be gratefull for. Well now on my 3rd new ---old --pc and have temporly lost the technology to load up pics ---until i have a donated i4 phone sorted , but managed to keep planting out seedlings and dealing with a few rats and voles eating my germinating seeds and saplings , in each stack of 2 tires i have about 8 milk carton seed pots ,a piece of bird mesh on top held down by a couple of cut out tire sidewalls---this stops the little birds eating the organic slug pellets and getting into the rat traps i have spaced around in some of them. Also in heavy downpours i was able to lay a sheet of clear plastic over the mesh and under the sidewalls to hold it down ---this stopped some of the over watering and kept temps up a bit as well at the time.Got some burr oak , black hybrid walnut , pecan , buart hybrid walnuts ,coming up and lots of hazel ,chestnut, ginko and sweet oaks germinating---waiting for lots more varieties to start showing

3. 9anda1f

Climate:
    You are so right about our "first world problems".
    Spring has sprung ... enjoy!

songbird likes this.
  4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    How did you get on with your bee hive?

songbird likes this.
  5. antonius

antonius Member

Climate:
    no luck with any bees yet , i have just placed some liquid attractant sprayed onto cotton wool--friend had some spare ---inside the hive ---but he had no spare bees to offer---its becoming a worry as although people are keeping bees about 2 miles from me there are none yet to be spotted around my place and a few keepers i have met are all reporting a scarcity in swarms and falling numbers of hives. But this is not just a climate change or farming practices or pesticides at play , its also fewer people living in rural areas who practice rural traditions and around our area just a slow decline in people willing to live in it. My piggy bank is currently mothballed ,so i cant purchase a nuc of black bees either, and we are now in june so swarms will be less likely as well

songbird likes this.
  6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    oh, that is disappointing. I was looking forward to hearing how great it was going.
    Did your friend say what was on the cotton wool? Its probably something like Lemon grass oil.
    I wish our native bees were the sort i coud put in a box and look after but they arent and all I can do is try to plant out as many native species as I can to try to give them something to forage on.
    In some ways, a slow decline in people can bring about a more diverse eco system due to lack of interference.
    My piggybank has a lock on it at the moment too.

songbird and 9anda1f like this.
  7. antonius

antonius Member

Climate:
    Touchdown-----just arrived a few hours ago at home ---back from a weeks holiday break in sunny algarve,-----and our weather here at home was glorious ----which must have set off some bee swarming ---went to checkout a low buzzing noise---and theres bees in the hive ---large dark coloured ones---with plenty of activity --- one coming in and one leaving on a continual rota---so nearly a year later almost to the date ---bees have moved in.

songbird and 9anda1f like this.
  8. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Tthat's great Antonius, post a photo of the bees if you get a chance.

songbird likes this.
  9. antonius

antonius Member

Climate:
    hello, its been grand weather here for the past 5 weeks , for us at least ,anything over 12 degrees C and only the odd rainfall ---is a summer by our terms , of course its been even better than that over a few days , and lots of bee activity ---i cant get a good close up picture of them ---the hive is 14 feet or so above in the tree---been able to set up a spotter scope some distance away so i could focus in , onto the top entrance hole ---and identify the bees as very dark , furry and with very faint yellow bands---but with out a positive dna test to absolutly state these are 95 to 100 percent irish black bees ---i am going to say they are dark bees living on my place in ireland . Seems quite a few keepers in the early 20th century bought in dark european hives ,and combined with later italian imports and buckfasts ---we would now have feral hives with mixed dna---fortunately our weather has been selectively breeding only those that can adapt to it for us .Went round to a local keeper ---2 kms away --and had a look at his bees ---all are honey bee types---lots more yellow banding --although he has lost a few hives to swarming away --mostly they move into several vacant hives he keeps nearby---he has a strict feeding regime of sugar syrup to get the queen laying and brood build up---of course he valiantly offered to remove my swarm ---followed up by they must be some of his that recently swarmed and left---oh how we laughed at these two statements---although i think he might have been a bit serious.A plus side was he has planted up some manuka and has brought on enough of it to establish a hedge , with more cuttings and seedlings coming along---onto the bee lure i used ---i have no idea what it was ---it was a pale blue fluid --which i dropped onto cotton wool ---but that was done a month or more before the swarm moved in . On the use on lemon grass oil as a lure ---its more hit and miss from what i have read ---repels some bees and attracts others only temporary---on the same hive swarm ----many keepers dont use any swarm lure at all---so i am starting to doubt its effectiveness.---

9anda1f and songbird like this.
  10. antonius

antonius Member

Climate:
    heres one i have never gotten as far with before, its a jarrah, been able to germinate them but they usually conk out after about 6 leaves are up, its up on a mound/ditch so free draining soil, and still growing

songbird likes this.
  11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    good to hear about some successes there! :)

12. antonius

antonius Member

Climate:
    trying to get a photo up ,sorry just wont work and i cant work out why not right now