Trees and plants around a dam/pond

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Grahame, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

So, I've got a water storage pond (a dam that's really just a hole in the ground). It holds water, which is good but it loses a lot due to evaporation in the hot months. So I'm going to do some protection planting... One of the reasons I haven't done it before now I realise is that I don't really know the answers to a few questions.

Some of the questions are these...

Will trees growing near the pond cause the pond to 'leak' or is that just an issue with dams (ie those on a slope)? Are there trees and plants that are better for doing the pond protection job? Are there trees or plants I should definitely avoid? Is there a distance I should keep the trees from the pond? etc etc etc...

Any experiences greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. matto

matto Junior Member

G'day Grahame,

You do hear of people saying not to plant on the dam wall because this could lead to leakages. I have seen 15m high eucalypts established on the batter of a dam wall with no visible leakage over dry time. I wonder what would happen though if they were cut down and the roots allowed to decay.

If the batter is big enough, maybe the roots would get through the clay wall. I would suggest shallow rooted trees and shrubs if the dam wall is facing towards your sun sector. Otherwise, go to town!

You could also give Nick Romanowski a phone call at https://www.dragonflyaquatics.com/about-dragonfly-aquatics.html . I remember a few years ago reading that he was onto a great aquatic plant that seemed to have a good balance between its shading value and its evapotranspiration. Not sure how he calculated this, but he is the man with regards to aquatic plant. Might be worth a try?

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Thanks Matto.

I was also thinking that the creek only 150 meters away has a whole bunch of trees growing around it and it doesn't dry up during the dry seasons when it isn't really flowing, so there should be some comfort in that. And besides, there are eucalypts already less than 20 meters away so they are definitely going to have roots long enough to reach the hole in the ground.

I'll concentrate on the shallow areas around the edge of the pond with some of the emergent marginals I guess and put some trees in to stop the worst of the drying winds to the north.

Any one else with any knowledge and experience on these things?

4. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

I f it is just a hole in te ground than shade should help!
    willows and bamboo are ok for the wall
    bursaria splnosa is a favourite native of mine