[Technical Forum Question] RSS/ API Features?

Discussion in 'Forum Info and Questions' started by Tildesam, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    Hey guys!

Do we have any forum features that give us an RSS feed of a forum (or thread)? Even better, do we have any features like an API that might let us post to the forums without coming to the website in the browser?

I wanted to post some threads about my adventures, but I also have these adventures documented in a blog. I wanted to find a way to keep the two in sync (without me having to write it twice, or copy and paste!) I can figure most of it out but I need some computer-readable version of the forums I can use.

If this forum uses v-bulletin (I think it does!) I think RSS is a feature but it needs to be turned on?

Fingers crossed I don't have to write posts in double!

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  3. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    That looks interesting!

So it looks like that feature would involve posting each blog post as a forum post (which makes sense).
    A lot of the members here like to keep one thread (of their design/property) and post updates to the same thread, it doesn't look as if this feature covers that? Or maybe I haven't read enough...
    This option would also involve us working together to get credentials (from my site for example) to post here. Would you be OK with that?

I see you can already get the WHOLE forum in an RSS feed (this is the link - https://permaculturenews.org/forums/index.php?forums/-/index.rss) can you do it per thread? Then the work will all be on my side (easier for you). All I'd need to do is read the XML from that link and pull out what I need to put on my website.

[Edit: I also just saw you can get sub-forums in RSS too so it'd just be a case of seeing if you can do it per-thread...]