Social Business Assumptions

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by SackaAlpaca, Sep 28, 2018.

1. SackaAlpaca

SackaAlpaca New Member

Climate:
    Temperate
    Hello experts.
    I just joined this forum today so I am sorry if my etiquette is out.
    I have an idea for a small but expandable social business but I wanted to test out some of my assumptions with some people whose backgrounds and knowledge is more substantial than my own, which is minimal.
    Here goes:

Assumptions
    1. People want to embrace new ways of investing in change as their faith in government declines.
    2. Pressures on traditional farmers and their communities during drought is a consequence of modern methods of farming production which degrade land and environments.
    3. Consumers who are conscious of their impact on the environment would pay more for a product if they knew it supported a good investment in change to more sustainable farming practices including organic methods.
    4. There are organisations out there who could benefit from a

Hello experts.
    I just joined this forum today so I am sorry if my etiquette is out.
    I have an idea for a social business but I wanted to test out some of my assumptions with some people whose backgrounds and knowledge is more substantial than my own, which is minimal.
    Here goes:

Assumptions
    1. People want to embrace new ways of investing in change as their faith in government declines.
    2. Pressures on traditional farmers and their communities during drought is a consequence of modern methods of farming production which degrade land and environments.
    3. Consumers who are conscious of their impact on the environment would pay more for a product if they knew it supported a good investment in change to more sustainable farming practices including organic methods.
    4. There are organisations out there who exist to support meets in transition and require funding to do so.

I guess that’s it. Since I’m mostly open source so here is a little about the idea and would appreciate any feedback, ideas or pointers to related organisations or initiatives.

Idea:
    So you have a fairly large and consistent supply of coffee bean packaging which would otherwise go to waste. Not huge bags, 1-2 kg worth.
    You have a fairly large and consistent form of uncertified organic compost which can be prepared through sifting into a pleasant soil conditioner. Compost pretty much.
    Also Alpaccas are so damn cute.

Anyway. Filling bags is a fun way to spend an afternoon and it’s a great mechanical challenge to build something to make it all a little easier.
    The bags would go for a certain price which is probably way more than a person would normally pay for compost from a nursery day. But they aren’t at the nursery, because they’re buying coffee and they see a bag with a cute ole Alpacca on it.
    The label which would attach to the recycled coffee packaging would explain the purpose of the project which is this:(only way less preachy and with an adept marketing edit rolled over it)

Farmers are struggling with drought. People clearly want to help because they are making donations and learning more about the plight of these communities.
    Here is a practical way you can fund education projects which will support farmers to learn and undertake more sustainable agricultural practices which add value to local environments and people in the long term.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Andrew

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Andrew and welcome,
    Some interesting thoughts you've got it could work! Your marketing would be aimed at backyard gardeners who buy coffee. I might be wondering about some more specifics regarding the education projects and how the funds are distributed.

3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I'm a coffee freak!!
    What is your brand name. I prefer supporting fair trade brands