Organic goes wrong. :(

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Marchal Michael, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Marchal Michael

Marchal Michael New Member

Hey what do you think of the fact that Australia gonna sell his organic beef to China in a really close futur? Because Permaculture want's to grow locally but some unniversity work with investor to promote more organic beef exportation. For me it's seems away from the solution. And why Chinese people have this crasy craving for Beef a country wich have master aquaculture very well.

2. Billy VanCuren

Billy VanCuren New Member

I haven't heard anything about it...but, yes it is away from the Permaculture methodology - in the initial stages (money still matters). If the Chinese like it enough, then they will adopt the practice to create the same (because money still matters, lol). However, telling them "No, you can't have my beef, but here is how you can grow your own" is a very powerful approach...especially if issued as a challenge that they can't do it as well as the Aussies!

Why the crazy craving? Because beef isn't fish. I haven't ever gotten tired of eating beef, but variety is nice thing.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    NZ organic growers have always exported. I agree it's not the right direction, but organics is a set of growing techniques and doesn't have much to say on changing the dominant economic paradigm ;-)

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  5. Flatland

Flatland Member

Being a vego I am not into beef but if Australia is going to export beef then surely it is better to export organic than chemical. To my way of thinking if organic growing (vegetable or animal) becomes economic, even more valuable than chemical then more farmers will go over to organic and that has to be a good thing for the planet. Farmers are there to make a profit, they work dam hard to do it and they are not stupid people (I know plenty). Years ago a neighbour of mine who was a market gardener changed over from using chemical fertilizer to using chicken poo because it was cheaper. He made an economic decision but it was also one that was better for his soil. Surely that is a good thing.