looking to buy acreage block in Tara, QLD

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Jack Smiles, May 24, 2009.

1. Jack Smiles

Jack Smiles Junior Member

hello, my wife and i are learning about permaculture and are currently looking at buying our first block of land to design our permaculture property.

in the district of Tara, Queensland, there are a large number of fairly inexpensive 30acre blocks for sale. On the overal scale of prices for land in Australia and Queensland this seems dirt cheap. Between $45.000 and $130.000 for 30acres, some with dwelling, the cheaper ones are just bushland.

we are very interested in buying a large block of land, even though it's in the middle of nowhere, however we don't want to fall into any pitfalls as to why this land may be so cheap.

we are inexperienced when it comes to buying land and also in permaculture, however we understand the idea and it's basic principles.

is there anyone on this forum who would be able to tell us anything unbiased (unlike the real estate agent) about this region of Queensland and whether or not it would be suitable to buy land and designing and building a permaculture home there?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

have a great day!
    Jack Smiles

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Re: looking to buy acreage block in Tara, QLD

G'day Jack & Wife :mrgreen:

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

At he risk of offending our good friends the real estate agents, here goes...

Tara, hey?

A quick look at the town's profile (see: https://www.tara.qld.gov.au/visitors/Profile.shtml), tends to make me think that it would be as good as place as any to have a go at PC.

Mind you, there's an old saying, "you get what you pay for".

It's pretty dry; average annual rainfall 600mm. That's only marginally better than what we get here in Bendigo, Vic (550mm avg., and falling), and it's a battle!

Although it is sub-tropical, so you might be able to grow some ripper fruit with the correct system of swales, drains and dams implemented...

Looks like the nearest river is quite some way to the north, however.

Unemployment is well below the state avg; pre, primary and secondary school in town; all the services one could need; medical, fire, police, town water and sewerage (see: https://www.dalbyrc.qld.gov.au/visitors/index.shtml and https://www.tara.qld.gov.au/).

How far out of town are you looking? How far out of town? Cycling distance, walking distance, or Toyota distance?

What services (if any) are connected?

If no services, how far to each?

Got any slope on the land; catchment potential???

What's the dirt profile like (bedrock, regolith, substructure, topsoil)? Can you build/grow with it?

Any veg?

Fenced?

Chemical history?

Biological history?

Pest plants and animals?

Native title?

Cultural heritage?

Natural heritage?

Minerals?

Flooding?

Fire?

Planning/Building/Rates history? Ditto for the future: can you even use and/or develop the land to your requirements (see: https://www.dalbyrc.qld.gov.au/services/ ... Scheme.pdf)

Does it even have a clear title?

What is the history of the land, in other words?

Gee Jack, there are a million things you should look at before you sign on the dotted line.

Have you read things like:

"Tricks and Traps in Buying Bush Blocks": https://www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s311622.htm

At $1500-4500 per/acre, I'd imagine that there may be a lot of other factors that you might just want to weigh into your 'value for money' equation.

But if after doing all the above, and anything else I'm sure others will suggest, and you still buy it... well, then, best of bloody luck to you both.

The world needs more permies!

I'd be very interested to follow your story.

Don't forget to keep us posted, and cheerio, M.

PS: Just had a look on Google Maps. The Tara district is situtaed just to the west of the last remnant veg band at that latitude, Looks pretty dry and flat to the south, and the desert is not that far to the west...

Try them at $1000 per/acre. I may even move up there myself :mrgreen:

Seriously; I'll be up that way in about 3-weeks time. I'll make a detour through the district, and let you know what I reckon upon my return.

3. MamboLife

MamboLife Junior Member

I was reading a Permaculture book from the library (sorry I don't have the book details anymore) that says you'll have the best chance at success if you stick to a rainfall minimum of 800mm per year, and that's with water re-use and recycling, and careful water management including swales, etc.

If rainfall was to drop, would the council allow a bore? What is the ground water in the area like? (Amount and quality?)

Go to the shops in town, the attractions, and in a good natured, friendly way, speak to the locals. Buy something in each store so you have an excuse to speak to the person behind the counter. What do they love about the place? What do they hate? Go say hello to any potential neighbors :)

A small, fertile, green block might be better than a large, rocky, drier block. Decisions, decisions !

And, above all, you must really love the area you will call home :)

4. Jack Smiles

Jack Smiles Junior Member

Gee, guys thanks a lot for that. Very helpful indeed and in the coming weeks we will try to find out as much as we can about the area and the available blocks.

On the long weekend of the Queen's birthday we'll be traveling there as well to do exactly what you suggested: talk to locals, visit the potential neighbors and hopefully get a soil sample that we can get someone to test if it's any good, or really bad.

As far as rain/water is concerned. A few of the properties have already got large dams and raintanks installed but yes, i do hear you. water could become a problem.

Will keep posting on what we can find out.

Thanks again.
    Jack Smiles

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

make sure you have building permission - if there isn't anything on the land - a lot of land around tara was sub-divided in the late 80's without zoning permission and people moved to the cheap blocks only to find they can't build on them or if they build they can only use them as a part timer - holiday or weekender
    (I know about this because I almost bought a really cheap block - a work colleague who had studied law suggested I check the zoning permits)

when I checked up the historical rainfall was similar to the ACT - maybe a bit less, there is some bore water available - not sure on the quality - and life would really be out bush living out there

6. janahn

janahn Junior Member

Hi Jack,

I live about 100 k from Tara but back towards the Great Divide.

I am developing a PC Demo Farm & Campus on 100 acres.

Tara has limited employment opportunities and is famous for "blockies" people who turn up with the dream and end up in a state of rural decline.

The local farming sector is wheat/sheep/cattle/cropping. Very conservative but secure.

There are hundreds of blocks for sale. I heard that the council started putting auction reserves on land repossessed due to non payment of rates after some blocks sold for less than $10,000.

I know people who paid $12,000 for 30 acres 5 years ago.

Shop around and maybe do land title searches and your will find a bargain

Leo Mahon PDI www.janahn.com.au

7. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day jack smiles,

at this stage we don't know your age and if you need to derive income, my first thoughts when i read the post yesterday was "why" the land's cheap probably because no one realy wants to be there, and rainfall is a major consideration the 600mm mentioned earlier might not tell the true picture, you need to calculate the mean average say over the past 10 and even 20 years, to get 'mean' you add up the totals over the time span and drop out the highest and lowest reading, something like that. but the average over the past 10 years won't hide anything. remember farmers like to sell of their marginal land first so any good lans may never be for sale. the other calculation how many rain days did that occur on a rain day is nothing less than .2 of a mill' you also need to know what time of the year that rain may fall if it is in winter then you are going to be looking at a lot of long hot dry summer days. BOM should be able to work it all out for you.

anotehr anomoly in teh recording system where the rain measure is collected could actually get more rain that where you probable land is. we lived at gunalda the rain was collected 6k (as the crow flies) west of us our actual rainfall was around 10% more than there.

but anything less than 800++mm is going to be very hard to live with no matter how much permaculture you know or use. what is the grazing rate of the property (you may want to run your own beef), my guess is the grazing rate without hand feeding might be around 1 head to 15+ acres. then there is the nutrient level of those sparse grasses to consider. you might need 70 or more acres to make it work. nothing works without water.

un-employment may be low becauses those who need employment go elsewhere.

don't try and put a dam in wihtout a permit they will ping you out there watched for sattelite, the pic' quality will amaze.

so try and buy a block that has a dam, if you decide to move there.

take emergency services into account how far away is the rural fire brigade? you need your own emergency fire water ie.,. a large swimming pool with a fire pump in readiness, this may save you until the brigade gets there.

what about doctors, hospitals, ambulance if you get a snake bite and the ambulance is say a 30min' drive away it could easily take them 45-50min's to get to you, and with some of the more dangerous snakes that could verge on being too late. even to get an emergency helicopter in the air takes around 15min's as i have been told.

me i still reckon the prices asked are too dear for the area.

and yes never listen to real estate agents they will tell you anything to get a sale.

even having neighbours as close as 300meters is better than not at all, in emergencies.

not to forget friends and rellies, distance soon wears their visits thin.

have a good criteria to go on to help you buy right if i can say that, we have some notes on our site may or may not help?

if you can try and find tick free land, we did makes oodles of difference when livestock are in play. even the health of humans.

len

8. janahn

janahn Junior Member

hi jack,

recent reports on ABC Local Radio have made reference to children living in 3rd world conditions on Tara Blocks. Many have no electricity or sewerage and only have old sheds/vans/etc...

otherwise I am sure Tara is a lovely place.

One tip for a prospective purchaser....go and talk to your prospective neighbours

Leo M

9. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

I once lived in Roma and had a friend who was a foster mother.......almost all of her children she had ever fostered came from Tara. Just to give you an insight.
    lovingmygarden