Fire Prevention - What can we do?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Mrs Parker-Bowles, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Terra

Terra Moderator

Well done Marko , You beat me to it , i have been thinking about putting up a refresh on this thread , i have been grazing around the house and sheds with my horses for a few weeks now . I did some more fencing to make this more effective , but still have some other preperation to do , low branch trimming on trees near the house (critical to keep fire out of the tree canopy ) and i am putting in some isolating taps so i can eliminate the risk of losing pressure from water lines around the house . I have a couple of systems , the normal garden supply pressure pump can be run via generator to start getting things wet , and another system running of a firefighter pump if i have to really get water going and of course my fire unit on the 4wd ute . I had a bad fire in 2005 which burnt the whole farm with exception of the house and one in 1993 which took out about a third of the farm so hopefully ive had my share and i never have another , the bad index days really keep my eyes on the horizon . Echo Marko stay safe and do what ever preperation you can .
    Regards Rob.

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Thanks Marco

it is very interesting to read the Vic advice and much more comprehensive than our FESA info

Like Terra we are busy preparing and this year have put in a whole new sprinkler system running off a diesel pump and separate from the system used for watering, which is pwoered by an electric pump with gen erator backup. In the past we had to turn off sprinklers and turn on roof sprinklers whichhubby did on bad days. Now the roof system is always ready and ina fire we can also run the watering sprinklers to keep a fire even further from the house.

Now all we need to do is hope we never need it ...........

frosty

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

6. Michaelangelica

7. Michaelangelica

Low Volume Misters and Fogging Machines.
    These systems have been used for a while in high traffic outdoor areas where air conditioning might be nice
    Also used in large propagation nurseries
    The price is now coming down and they may have use in Bushfire areas
    i wonder if these would help with the right sort of windows
    Less high tech systems have worked
    Low Volume Misters and Fogging Machines.
    https://www.mistafog.com.au/
    https://www.coolmist.com.au/cooling.aspx
    https://www.uniqueoutdoorcooling.com/index.html