Finally: Solar hot water

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by hedwig, Aug 20, 2007.

1. shefplumb

shefplumb Guest

solar - Dux 305

Hi there,
    Just joined the discussion & like Dirty Dave i to am a plumber in Adelaide focused on plumbing sustainability & a registered Eco smart plumber.
    The DUX sun pro is not a stainless steel at all and all solar units installed after November 2005 must have an approved solar tempering that allow the supply of hot water not to exceed 50 degC
    I do have a vested interest in solar units but Dave you might want to check out our units using Evacuated tube technology as it is an ideal system for frost prone area's not to mention its high efficiency

Happy to give you more information on our system if you require as there have been a few installed within that region in the last few months
    Feel free to check out the web site at https://www.hillssolar.com.au
    or contact directly via email for further information

Regards javascript:emoticon(':D')
    Very Happy

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day shefplumb,

this system does it actually heat the water by the sun?

if so can it be coupled with a normal hotwater system?

to me the costs of these other solar h/w systems with their small tanks is prohibitive.

my thoughts are is it possible to run a normal system with a solar collecter type system even if it entailed using batteries?

in round figures what does one of your preffered systems cost installed and what capacity is the tank?

you can send me a p.m or e/m if you preffer.

tia

len

3. shefplumb

shefplumb Guest

Hi Len
    Yes it does heat the water as it circulates through the manifold & does so through heat transference.
    Yes it can be coupled up with your existing hot water service - its called a retro fit kit and dependant on what type of hot water service you have there is a kit specific to its requirements
    Not to sure what you mean about the batteries? please do not confuse PV with solar hot water as they are two separate animals if that's what you may mean - sorry taking a bit of an assumption there
    Cost of system varies dependant on what you require ET come in different configuration from 10, 22. 30. 40 tube units - retro fit kits - complete systems & optimisation pitching frames. storage tanks in a split arrangement are 160Lt, 250Lt & 315Lt stainless steel tanks with polymer outer casing

As a virgin to the forum format not to sure what p.m or e/m mean
    but check out the Hills web site https://www.hillssolar.com.au
    or for pricing on your requirements send me an email at [email protected]
    As far as installation cost that would be up to the local plumber & what you require doing - but you get some rather healthy rebates back
    REC's currently at around $32.00 per point
    Federal rebate on principle place of residence having a household income of less than 100K @ $1000.00
    Plus i think there is a state rebate available in Brisbane - check with local

4. gardenlen

sent you an e/m shefplumb,

len

5. DirtyDave

DirtyDave Junior Member

Shefplumb,
    I have been looking at the evacuated tube system and it looks great
    looking at a solar system for myself, as I don't like the split system personaly,
    Just this week I have taken over as manager for the company I work for,
    And would like to learn more, Haven't heard much of any actual field reviews of such systems,,,

one of my call today was to get my eco acreditation, but another plumber said it was just a big sales pitch for the solar hot water companies,,
    Got to go to work now cheers

6. gardenlen

for me those sort of acreditations are industry driven standards seeking gov' sanction and don't realy amount to much, consumers want all up front honesty and integrity above all else.

no feel good needed be above board.

len

7. shefplumb

shefplumb Guest

solar units

Len
    Thanks for the message - it gives me a bit better understanding of the forum now - tia
    I will send you you a pm later today about what you asked
    Accreditations are just that, however it does mean that a business is trying to improve it knowledge about different product & idea's and improving it's service to its customers
    Integrity comes back to the individual

Dave
    I can understand some concerns you have about split systems but i think its a far better way to go for many different reasons
    Not a push from hot water manufacturers at all - more of an industry push
    you make it to what its worth to you & or your company - its a better resolve than a money making machine such as the ........................ no franchise licence here
    will contact you via pm or e/m to discuss out of forum

thanks & TTFN

8. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

Since the weather has been hotter our gas bill went down to $87.44 for two people showering as well as the stove. I spoke to my sister as she has a gas hot water system and her bill for one person was $125 without the stove.
    The savings over the summer might be even more. At least it's not all doom and gloom.
    The pilot light seems to go out sometimes when it rains. We don't realise until we go to have a shower and the water isn't really hot. On a cloudy day it dosen't get hot enough for me to shower in so I am a bit thankfull for the gas boost.
    A government worker friend of mine said it's the law to have the system gas boosted to prevent some disease?

9. lance

lance New Member

Solar hot water ..which system?

G'day,

I have an opportunity to install hot water on my house ..but am finding it difficult to work out the most efficient and reliable system.

It would seem solar/instantaneous gas boost is out as I have to get bottles of LPG delivered.

I am currently looking at solar/electric boost (split system) and a heat pump system (two QUANTUM systems, one with heat pump only and the other with panels to assist in evaporating the refrigerant).

It would seem the heat pump option would be "set and forget", but would be more complex in terms of control systems and machinery (i.e. shorter lifespan and possible breakdowns).

Is anyone out there able to offer any info,hard facts, or a link to a good comparison site?

Cheers. :D

10. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

11. Soleil.Lunar

Soleil.Lunar Junior Member

Turning off booster

We have a solar hot water system with two back up systems. In winter the water runs through a jacket on the wood stove for extra heating. When the wood fire isn't on (summer) there is an electric booster for cloudy days, we keep the electric booster off (we just cut the power to the booster by switching off the hot water system on the electricity distribution board), if we realize we have run out of hot water we turn it on for two hours after which there is a tank of hot water to use, then it is turned off again.

The "computer" on your gas system is most probably a thermostat. The thermostat will most probably only tell the booster to kick in at a certain temperature. Can you adjust the thermostat setting so that the booster doesn't kick in so often?