Can I grow any edibles in full shade?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by beginnergardener, Oct 12, 2017.

1. beginnergardener

beginnergardener Junior Member

Climate:
    Warm Temperate
    Can I grow any edibles in full deep shade underneath an evergreen pittosporum tree?

It's full deep shade all year round but I did get a non edible shade plant to grow from the hardware store.

There are lists on the internet for shade tolerant edible plants but they are usually more for partial shade.

I tried some potatoes so far they sprouted but are leaning heavily in the direction of more light. So not sure if they want to grow there.

There are also some vines starting to grow by themselves there. So plants can grow, but what edibles can?

So I'm looking for suggestions for unusual full shade edible plants, not normal ones that tolerate partial shade.

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    sorry, I dont think full shade will allow most things to grow well without leaning towards the sun

3. crowsandcats

crowsandcats New Member

Climate:
    Mediterranean; 1000m altitude equatorial tropics
    Katuk if you're in a frost free place

4. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    The short answer is no, edibles (vegetables, fruits, etc.) need some sunlight to produce their crop.
    There are some that will do ok (not thrive) in partial (dappled shade) sun, there are also some that will do ok with just 2 hours of full sun per day.
    This is why most of the forest garden photos show these plants at the edge or just to the field side of the edge of the forest.
    Vines can be closer to the shade of the canopy but that will make them spend a lot of energy growing up the trees to reach the sunlight they crave and need.

5. beginnergardener

beginnergardener Junior Member

Climate:
    Warm Temperate