A new age “ATOMIC PERMACULTURE" - 3 possible definitions and inspiring analogies

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Lumbuck Thornton, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Lumbuck Thornton

Lumbuck Thornton Junior Member

Just thinking out loud here.

As impending economic, environmental and social decay start to slip many humans backwards in time and some of the horrors of history start to re-emerge but this time coupled to high technology in many cases, maybe it is time for “permaculture” to shine.

The concept of "atomic permaculture” would appear to capture several things....

1. Rather than 2 dimensional zones, a new type of compact permaculture understanding might be constructed of 3 dimensional system shells of varying potential like in atom theory and “chemistry" between separate systems also considered.

2. It could also relate to the destruction of cities as they are currently known, or to be more specific, a process by which permaculture could destroy the environmental, economic and socially destructive capacity of cities by educating the population and providing more attractive alternatives. The question is whether cities as they currently stand are "too far gone” to be properly enjoyed. Will current cities just become the temporary accommodation for corporate and government slaves of the future until they burn out or get the permaculture bug themselves and want to move to where they can more properly live.

3. Permaculture has often been considered by the rest of society as an experiment only to be carried out in remote cheap locations. Could "Atomic Permaculture" turn this around and become the explosive central powerhouse of “community” in the future that builds its own new types of robust environmental, social and economic systems that are only just starting to show signs of emergence !!

This might be a bit of a contrast to the “spanner in the works” theories of the viability or prematurely inducing unsustainable system collapse when really we should be probably “enlightening some of the key decision makers and tightening up their nuts!"

Just a little idea - comments welcome!

2. Lumbuck Thornton

A sort of viral mind bomb that can affect cities in a good way by setting the example !

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I would prefer the word atomic stays far & away from anything Permaculture because so help me I will pimp slap the next person who tells me Nuclear energy is clean.

4. Eclipse

Eclipse Junior Member

As a peak oiler from way back, I used to think that cities were 'too far gone'. Now, however, I realise oil and energy are not the limiting factors. I still hold grave fears for our planet's climate and biodiversity future, but think that these challenges can be met with existing technologies. Now that I know GenIV reactors are soon to be deployed, and will provide abundant clean energy by burning old nuclear waste, I have hope that we have enough energy to avoid Mad Max styled energy collapse. Apparently the energy resources sitting around as 'waste' in cooling ponds is vast: the UK have enough to run themselves for 500 years, and America has enough to power herself for 1000!

So while there is much I admire in a back-to-the-land permaculture lifestyle, I don't think we all have to do it to survive. With enough energy, large scale biofarming or what I call 'industrial strength permaculture' becomes an option for feeding the future. Cities should adapt around New Urban principles for reasons of energy efficiency, traffic management, a sense of neighbourhood and to reduce pollution, congestion, and depression. But it takes time to adjust cities, and we need clean energy to maintain today's cities. To solve the climate crisis, I'm with James Hansen who initially described the climate bomb to us. He promotes GenIV nukes. So do I. That will help prevent climate catastrophe while we work on so many other challenges threatening the health and well being of our civilisation, such as our agricultural and city design systems.

5. Lumbuck Thornton

Sorry if there is any confusion. I am definitely not supporting nuclear power. I was implying that if the next generation of permaculture was really effective and attractive then it could empty cities or destroy the destructive capacity of cities - one of which is nuclear power in some parts of the world. What if permaculture became strong enough to cause a "chain reaction” of public action and awareness? Rather than triggering an economic collapse (it is possible it could do this itself anyway.)