Apr 20, 2017

Followers 1

Horticulture, Permaculture, Organic Farmer

Share This Page

Luke C

New Member, Male, from NW Tasmania

Luke C was last seen:
Apr 20, 2017
    1. There are no messages on Luke C's profile yet.
  • About

Horticulture, Permaculture, Organic Farmer
    Climate:
    Cold Temperate - Zone 7
    I grew up on an organic hobby farm in NW Tasmania and enjoyed fresh home grown produce throughout my childhood. It wasn't until I left home at the age of 17 when I fully understood and began to appreciate where I had grown up and the quality of food that I had been raised on.

My original occupation was in Graphic Design, Web Design and Marketing. After several years running my own business in this field I began to feel out of touch with my origins and felt a huge lack of life fulfilment in general. So I quit this trade and went in search for my passion once again.

Over the next 15 years or so I travelled around exploring much of Australia and also spent a couple of years in Thailand where organic food forests and gardening seemed to be the norm for most people who didn't live in the city.

I ended up trying my hand at aquaculture but as much as I enjoyed the work there was little prospect of a future in Australia for this industry and it was not really filling the void so to speak.

Then about 10 years ago I stumbled across Permaculture and began delving into the vast online resources on the subject. This was it. This is what I wanted to do. This is where hope lied for the future of our planet and for mankind and I wanted to be a part of it.

Unfortunately there weren't any real paying jobs doing this line of work so I first studied Horticulture as a stepping stone and to improve my knowledge on the subject of growing and caring for plants. It also gave me suitable qualifications to start working and earning a living immediately doing something I loved.

I had fallen in love with the tropics in Thailand, the warm weather and the wide range of food that could be grown and ended up living and working in Darwin for about 5 years as a Horticulturalist and Landscape Gardener. I even scored a great job for a couple of years with a small crew who were really into Permaculture so got to put a lot of my knowledge and research to good use.

I also worked at a few resorts helping to re-scape some very run down and overgrown gardens. In mid 2016 I was infected with Ross River Virus and about 2 months later broke my foot and was forced to retire from my job and decided to return to my Tasmanian homestead to recuperate.

My parents by now were getting a bit old and tired and were becoming less and less interested in their 10 acre hobby farm and I was offered the opportunity to stay and help out. A chance which I have been dreaming of ever since I became interested in Permaculture.

Now as my foot heals and the winter winds howl around the house I can sit here and make detailed plans of what we can do to the property. Exciting times are ahead and have already planned the rejuvenation of our annual vegetable garden and hot house.

I plan on creating enough produce from the annuals to sell at weekend markets, accompanied by seedlings I'll raise for sale and also seeds.

I'm also in the process of planning a small food forest to show my parents and the general public what can be achieved using perennial plants.

We also have a small orchid which I'm keen to plant out with beneficial legumes and herbaceous plants and get rid of all that useless grass and weeds... amongst many many other projects I've been planning.

Looking forward to the next few months and getting stuck into the garden once again and I will endeavour to share as much of my progress as possible on the forums here.
-->