Dr Samuel Alexander co-director of the Simplicity Institute brings to us this free online course – “Ecological Civilisation: Beyond Consumerism and the Growth Economy.”
This series will be grappling with the problems of consumerism and the growth economy; envisioning alternative, post-carbon ways of life; and considering what action can be taken, both personally and politically, to help build an ecological civilisation.
Todays video provides an introduction to the series which will focus on these questions:
- Can human beings live well within the sustainable limits of our finite planet?
- What would such an ecological civilisation look like?
- What can we do, practically, to help build such a way of life, both personally and politically?
The key themes of this series:
- Examine and update the ‘limits to growth’ position
- Explore a range of ‘post-growth’ perspectives
- Think critically about technological ‘fixes’
- Analyse the challenge of 100% renewable energy
- Review some social and environmental movements
- Post-capitalism, eco-socialism, eco-anarchism
- Consider grassroots and ‘top down’ strategies
- What would a ‘real’ Green New Deal look like?