WORKSHOPS OFFERED ACROSS SOUTHERN ONTARIO IN FEBRUARY 2017.
ABOUT THIS ONE-DAY WORKSHOP:
Maybe you’re looking to cut your energy use and invest in solar or wind power. Maybe you’re imagining what it would be like to keep backyard chickens, start composting your kitchen scraps or grow healthy food on your front lawn (or a year-round garden in your passive solar greenhouse). Maybe you’ve even got ambitions of reducing water consumption, or living in an off-the-grid strawbale house!
If you’ve ever asked, “How can I create a sustainable livelihood doing something for the earth, something I love?” — or “How can I set up a small-scale farm?” — or “How can I harvest water or stop erosion?” or even just “What is permaculture?” this course is for you.
We have designed a six hour course to provide you with the tools to turn your home into the greenest home on the block – all the while saving money and making a super healthy, beautiful and inspiring environment for family, friends and community… and perhaps even launching the career move of your dreams!
YOU WILL LEARN:
• a few core permaculture principles, strategies and practical design tools for energy-efficiency, reducing water use, cycling nutrients, and growing food.
• how to create super-productive gardens, to the envy of your neighbours, that don’t require weeding or chemical fertilizing.
• how to create abundance and a thriving garden with rainwater, using neat techniques such as wicking beds and swales.
• a whole new practical philosophy of working with (rather than against) nature; a perspective that can save you thousands of dollars when it comes to designing and integrating the layout of your home & garden (in ways you never imagined)!
• additional design tools that you can use to increase the sustainability of your home and community.
• and much much more!
THERE’S NO QUESTION THAT YOU WILL COME OUT OF THIS WORKSHOP FULL OF INSPIRATION AND IDEAS FOR YOUR GARDEN, YOUR HOME, AND YOUR LIFE, JUST IN TIME FOR SPRING!
Rob Avis is the owner and lead instructor at Verge Permaculture, an internationally recognized and award-winning permaculture design company from Calgary, Alberta. He has taught permaculture to thousands of students and as a Professional Engineer and principal at Adaptive Habitat, he offers expertise in building science and appropriate technology (solar, wind, combined heat & power), as well as rainwater harvesting, agro-ecology, ecosystem engineering, soil regeneration and onsite wastewater treatment.
ROB’S FULL BIO: HERE
ROB AVIS – OWNER / LEAD INSTRUCTOR / ENGINEER
THE AVIS’ PERMACULTURE HOMESTEAD: PART 1
Our three option course fee is designed with different budgets, time commitments and student goals in mind.
1. PEOPLE CARE ($75)
Includes registration for the in-person Introduction to Permaculture course.
2. EARTH CARE ($108 – 10% SAVINGS)
Includes the course ($75 value) and a copy of Bill Mollison’s book, Introduction to Permaculture ($45 value)
3. FAIR SHARE ($179 – 25% SAVINGS)
Includes the course ($75 value), the book ($45 value), and Verge’s online Interactive Permaculture Primer E-Course ($99 value).
*The Peterborough course includes lunch, and tuition is adjusted to reflect this.
ABOUT THE INTERACTIVE ONLINE PERMACULTURE PRIMER COURSE
Students who purchase FAIR SHARE will also receive access to Verge’s Interactive Permaculture Primer, which is is a six video online E-course.
INCLUDED IN THE E-COURSE IS THE FOLLOWING:
• A full year’s access to the online Permaculture Primer series (6 videos, ~ 4 hours)
• A downloadable 50-page note pack explaining all of the key concepts in detail
• Links to suggested reading and informational websites
• Homework and observation prompts to increase experiential learning
• Full access to Rob’s expertise through a comment section where you can get your questions answered by Rob and interact with other participants
• A coupon code for $99 that can be applied against tuition in Verge’s Permaculture Design Certificate.
Eligible students will be provided access to this E-course immediately following the in-person course. For more information about the Interactive Primer, visit this link.
DATES, TIMES & LOCATIONS:
Introduction to Permaculture – Peterborough; https://endeavourcentre.org/event/permaculture-workshop/
Introduction to Permaculture – Toronto; https://www.mingaskillbuilding.ca/workshop/introduction-to-permaculture-toronto/
Introduction to Permaculture – Guelph; https://www.mingaskillbuilding.ca/workshop/introduction-to-permaculture-guelph-on/
Introduction to Permaculture – Elora; https://www.mingaskillbuilding.ca/workshop/introduction-to-permaculture-elora/
Introduction to Permaculture – Hamilton; https://www.mingaskillbuilding.ca/workshop/introduction-to-permaculture-hamilton-on/
PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE
For the first time ever, we are going to be offering our Permaculture Design Certification (PDC) program in Eastern Canada, in the Fall of 2017, hosted by Minga Skill Building Hub.
With over 72 hours of classroom and hands-on instruction, the PDC is the international standard for permaculture certification. You’ll discover the principles for designing and implementing regenerative human habitat and we’ve added an online introduction course, interactive student forum, and countless other unique features to create an information-dense and unparalleled learning experience. The Guelph PDC is offered over a fourteen day period in October 2017. More info.