All photographs © Craig Mackintosh
This is a short post to provide a central repository for people to download presentations I was given after the Tenth International Permaculture Conference (IPC10) in Jordan, which ran over September 2011.
Note: If there are presenters who haven’t passed their files to me, but would still like to see them on this page, I would ask you to send them to me on editor (at) permaculturenews.org and I’ll happily add them.
Nadia Abu Yahia Lawton in organisational mode
I also want to take this opportunity to thank all the people involved in helping ensure the IPC10 was a success. Organising an event of such scale is quite a logistical feat, and the can-do attitude of certain individuals not only lightened the load, but also brought the much-needed positive vibes that took the IPC10 beyond just being ‘successful’ to being fun also!
Geoff and Latifa kick back between sessions
Big thanks go out to Nadia and Geoff Lawton who were both organising from afar, and then arrived early to iron out last-minute wrinkles. Huge thanks also to Bonnie Freibergs who managed all the bookings and whose organisational efforts went well beyond the call of duty, and without which several of the attendees (from Cuba and countries in Africa, etc.) would not have secured their hard-to-get visas. Thanks also go out to Owen Hablutzel and Sakina Grome for taking on the task of ensuring the all-important open space sessions at the end of the convergence were all they could be. (A couple of people told me they thought these open, brain-storming sessions were the most valuable part of the event for them.)
The big group, before splitting into discussion groups of your own choosing
There were many open session group topics to satiate the interest
Andy Goldring and Ethan Roland at the IPC10 Open Space Session
And, there were countless other elves helping to fill the gaps, like Wes Rowe and Margie Bushman, Ethan Roland, Rob Avis, Cathe’ Fish, Magali Veillon, Andy Goldring, Petra Krubeck, and many more. Thanks obviously also go to the pre-IPC PDC teachers, the conference keynote speakers and convergence presenters for sharing their valuable, interesting and varied wisdom and experiences, and for Bill and Lisa Mollison for making the effort to come all the way from Tasmania to contribute and add their blessing. Finally, I’d like to thank the people of Jordan, for, as always, being so welcoming and hospitable, including the staff and managers of the conference venue (Le Royal hotel, Amman) and the convergence campsite (Captain’s Camp, Wadi Rum).
Captain’s Camp at night
I hope attendees found the event a beneficial learning and networking experience, and I also hope that some net nutrient surplus in influence of thought and energy has worked its way into the Jordan landscape as a result of our collective presence there.
Now, on to the downloads! (and to see videos associated with some of these files, click on our ‘Conferences’ category link).
Please note: some of these are very large files! It’s best to right-click on the links and choose ‘save target as’ or ‘save link as’ and download completely before opening, rather than just clicking on the link and trying to open through the internet:
- Tony Rinaudo: Against the Odds — Reversing desertification in Arid and Semi-Arid lands (4.7mb PDF)
- Brad Lancaster: Turning Drains Into Spongesand Water Scarcity Into Water Abundance (8mb PDF)
- Rhamis Kent: Permaculture in Somalia: Overview of Agroecological Natural Technology Systems (ANTS) (5mb PDF)
- Roberto Pérez Riverro: Permaculture’s Use of Water in Times of Climate Change – the Cuban Experience (30mb PDF)
- Owen Hablutzel: IPC10 Convergence Open Space Event – Book of Proceedings (5mb PDF)
- Albert Bates: Beyond Zero — Biochar and the Carbon Cycle (47mb PDF)
- Andy Goldring: The Permaculture Association – organisation, network design and activity (5.7mb PDF)
- Brad Lancaster: Desert Harvesters and Native Foods (10mb PDF)
- Cathe’ Fish: Functional, Sustainable Kitchens (21.5mb PDF)
- Gillian Kozicki: International Permaculture Day (1.1mb)
- Lyn Hebenstreit: Water from Rock – the Story of Primary Water (9.5mb)
- Maarten Stapper: Agricultural Science & Technology is ‘Stuck in a Rut’ (7mb PDF)
- Mugove Walter Nyika: The IPC experience; some reflections from IPC9 (10.4mb PDF)
- Mugove Walter Nyika: School Communities Creating Abundance (4.2mb PDF)
- Murad Alkufash: Marda Permaculture Farm – Planting Seeds of Hope in the Occupied Territories (28mb PDF)
- Ryan Harb: Permaculture at UMass Amherstand other U.S. universities (4.9mb PDF)
- Rhamis Kent: Investment Opportunities for Global Earth Repair Work & Ecosystem Restoration: Making the Case (4.6mb PDF)
- Roberto Perez: Cuba, from collapse towards sustainability: Evolution of Agriculture (8.8mb PDF)
- Ted Bonner: Weaving a Moral EcologyThe Story of Ayouba (3mb PDF)