If you are involved with a Transition Towns, Sustainability or Permaculture group this will be of interest because it offers fresh insight into the role of architecture and property in market economies and, most importantly, in our individual day-to-day lives. (I am a member of Transition Towns Ireland + Northern Ireland and Transition Towns Castlemaine.)
Here are some Talks & Workshop options I can offer, all of which can be configured to suit your particular needs:
- EconoSpaceMaking — designing and building a mortgage-free sustainable shelter with no permit required
- Living Your Architecture — shaping your home to suit your life and the life of the planet
- Invisible Architecture — getting in touch with the unseen dimensions of buildings (and, consequently, of life)
- Dream Home – how to bring to life the house inside you
- Architecture Playhouse — integrating our need for food, water and shelter
- Spirit House — making space for one’s inner world
- Architecture & The Meaning of Life — exploring the dynamics linking architecture and life
- Architecture & Identity — discovering who we are through the medium of architecture
The talks can be supported with pictures and video (I have a projector) while the workshops combine theory and ‘hands-on’ involvement. Lots of fun and inspiration!
My background is in low-impact, low-cost sheltermaking, delivering talks and workshops, as well as producing written and video materials on the subject (mainly in Ireland). I have been a regular visitor to Australia since 2007, successfully delivering courses, workshops and consultancy services here since that time.
I am now resident in central Victoria, and am currently developing new food and shelter initiatives with my partner Alanna Moore.
I have also delivered LIVE Courses in UK, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan as well as supplying internet-based courses across the globe. I have been a regular teacher at Ireland’s prestigious Organic Centre since 2003 as well as delivering Courses to university and permaculture students.
The Living Architecture concept has been widely promoted on TV, radio and in print media, including Owner Builder, Permaculture UK, Local Planet & Sustainability magazines.
I am interested in establishing a relationship with a group, or groups, operating in the Sydney area with a view to developing a programme to be delivered during my August visit.
For example — giving an evening talk (by donation) to be followed by a 1-day workshop tailored to your particular needs. You would need to organise a venue and do promotion (I can supply a poster, etc.).
I can handle bookings, enquiries, etc.
I am looking forward to hearing from you!
For your interest, you can download a copy of the ‘Architecture and The Meaning of Life‘ programme (72kb PDF) which is just coming to an end.
Peter Cowman BArch.
Living Architecture Centre
- sheltermaker (at) gmail.com
- 03 9005 5833 Australia
- 076 602 6046 Ireland
- 020 3287 2949 UK