Photo © Craig Mackintosh
The Social Policy and Ecology Research Institute (SPERI) located in Vietnam is seeking a volunteer to live and work at the Human Ecology Practice Area (HEPA), located in a beautiful rainforest south west of Hanoi, close to the Laos border.
We are looking for:
- A web application designer and programmer for an Intranet application
This role is initially for six months and we are hoping to find someone to start ASAP!
The volunteer can expect accommodation and meals to be provided and a local wage.
HEPA is home to a Farmer Field School where indigenous minorities from Vietnam and Laos learn about eco-farming and permaculture. Volunteers at HEPA live and work side by side with the students and, once these projects are nearing completion, we will be training local people to administer and support them.
Here are some details of the skills we are looking for:
Web Application Programmer:
- Experienced in web application design using open source technologies and frameworks
- You choose what you use. Can be Python, PHP, or Ruby based. Maybe you are an experienced Drupal developer, Ruby on Rails or Plone? This is totally ‘greenfield’ so if the reasoning is sound then we are willing to use whatever framework or language you want!
- Experienced with database design
- Intranet portal will involve document management, collaboration, calendar sharing, wiki, blogs, news/events, organisation contacts, chat, and much more…
- There is a desire to release whatever is developed as open source
- The applicant must have an interest in permaculture and sustainable living, and be open minded and accepting of other cultures
This role will be working with the IT Manager (Australian Volunteer – and author of this article).
If interested please send your CV and a cover letter to volunteer (at) speri.org and let me know the earliest you can be here. You do need to find your own way here though as unfortunately we can’t cover airfares at this stage.