Strawberry Fields Eco Lodge in the Konso Special Woreda, Southern Ethiopia seeks volunteer sustainable builder/handy-man to assist with maintenance and minor construction tasks as well as some training and supervision of project staff and local workers. Food, accommodation and pocket money provided (and possibly internet access too)!
Strawberry Fields Eco Lodge is a community oriented business operating in rural south Ethiopia in Konso Woreda, an area noted for its unique local culture and indigenous agricultural system, but suffering from repeated food insecurity due to re-occurring droughts in the last 50 years. SFEL promotes community well-being through Permaculture design training and consultancy services delivered to local schools, as well as though developing community based tourism activities to generate alternative income for the community grass-roots. The project combines a lodge, farm, organic restaurant and Permaculture school as well as organising off-site trekking and cultural activities.
More information on SFEL and its objectives:
Our website is here: www.permalodge.org but we are still working on it and it needs some time…
Strawberry Fields now seeks someone with significant experience in sustainable building practises (e.g. mud building, composting toilets, basic solar water heating systems, basic solar electric systems, thatch construction, interior decor with local cultural and natural materials.) You will assist with general maintenance tasks and with completion of remaining small construction works which are necessary on the site which include finishing off of compost toilets and shower facilities, some interior works and carpentry, maintenance of stone wall terracing, and completion of some mud walled service buildings. You will work together with local technicians and labourers giving them the chance to develop new skills, experiencing Konso’s indigenous artesian skills, most notably stone wall terracing and thatch and mud construction. However they will be required to supervise and direct local tradesmen to produce work according to spec. as required for standards on the lodge, in ways to which they are often un-accustomed in the local villages. You will also be asked to assist with purchasing materials and to assist with store operation for the project.
- Significant experience with sustainable building practises, preferably in a rural environment (some but not necessarily all of the above-mentioned).
- Some experience in a supervisory role in construction works.
- A tough character and willingness to rough it, but at the same time an appreciation of standards and the western mentality – i.e. the needs of lodge guests.
- An interest to learn about a new culture, language, learn/teach new skills, and become part of a rural community for a few months.
- Live and eat with the project staff (room and board)
- Internet time 1/2 hour per day (if connection established on site)
- 100Br ($10) pocket money per week (enough for a few drinks each evening, or a trip to Arbaminch on the weekends).
To start: ASAP
Length of position: 3 – 6 months, depending on you.
Please submit a CV with two references to alex1mcc (at) yahoo.com